Navigation

Welcome Guest
( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

We now have a Counter Strike Source 100 tick 500fps server you to come and join in on the action!

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help Me Build A PC (built), yes, its another one of those thread :P
V
Clintonia
post Nov 3 2008, 12:39 AM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 1

Ok, so not sure if you all know, but I started working at Wal-Mart last week and I get my check in 2 weeks. My check will be something around $800, but I'm only trying to spend a max of $300 (or if I can sell my current build, I can make it $450) because I want to save the rest for a nice flatscreen LCD to put in my room. I'll probably be getting it later on once I get another paycheck, probably as a christmas present to myself >:)

Anyways, I would really like to get a Phenom, but if someone could give me a reason to get intel, then I might consider switching. For right now I'm thinking about getting this baby here:

AMD 2.6 GHz Quad Core Processor

For the motherboard, I want to get a full atx, because I love my PCI slots and I might get dual graphics cards. I'm looking at this one for now:

ASROCK AM2+ MOTHERBOARD

That board is really beast compared to what I'm asking for/ what is available. I'm living the 6 USB ports and the firewire (which is always a plus)

Now where I really need some help is the graphics card. I've been a ATI fanboy up until like the nvidia 7 and 8 series came out. I've been following them for the past 2~3 years but now I'm hearing that ATI is making a comeback, so now I'm not entirely too sure which guy I should go with. I do know that whichever card I get will probably be SLI'd / Crossfire'd in the future, but considering that my [potential] motherboard will be equipped with a NVidia chipset, I wouldn't want any performance loss.

As for the power supply, ram, and case (which I already have), I dont need help because I think I am confident in picking out those parts. smile.gif

If you think of something or want to suggest something, let me know biggrin.gif

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I have a 500gb SATA drive in my computer right now (I'm going to use it in my new computer too) but I was thinking of getting another one so I could do a RAID setup. Does anyone know a lot about RAID Arrays, or will I just have to Wikipedia that bitch? lol
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MrFixIt
post Nov 3 2008, 02:34 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: {E0!} Member
Member No.: 41

How much are you looking to spend?

+Quote Post
saxx
post Nov 3 2008, 05:45 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12

hopefully not, OVER 9000!!!

+Quote Post
Rxαs
post Nov 3 2008, 05:50 AM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 68

Lol . I would die

--------------------

+Quote Post
Clintonia
post Nov 3 2008, 06:30 AM
Post #5

Administrator

QUOTE (Clintonia @ Nov 3 2008, 01:39 AM) *
I'm only trying to spend a max of $300 (or if I can sell my current build, I can make it $450)

cmon guys, I know you fail and all, but try not to do it so hard wink.gif

QUOTE (saxx @ Nov 3 2008, 06:45 AM) *
hopefully not, OVER 9000!!!

I didn't get this at first but when I finally did i lol'd

+Quote Post
Power
post Nov 3 2008, 08:32 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11

Well, with that board you really need to go with nvidia, but if you would change the board to an amd chipset, then I would recommend and ATI card, because of all the great enhancments they made in their recent chipsets for ati's and amd's to run well together.

But with that chipet, I have to recommend nvidia so that later you can sli if you want to.

This post has been edited by Power: Nov 3 2008, 08:33 AM

+Quote Post
Stryker
post Nov 3 2008, 09:28 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10

I'd use an AMD chipset since Nvidia cards right now are fail. tongue.gif
ATI cards surely perform great in X-Fire and if you do switch, I would get the HD4850.

P.S. Next time post the specs for the parts too not just the manufacturer "ASROCK AM2+" really doesn't tell much.

Perhaps this: ASRock A780GXE/128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G ATX AMD Motherboard

This post has been edited by Stryker: Nov 3 2008, 09:37 AM

--------------------

Special thanks to: Wheezy cuz pr0 :D

+Quote Post
Clintonia
post Nov 3 2008, 11:50 AM
Post #8

Administrator

QUOTE (Stryker @ Nov 3 2008, 10:28 AM) *
I'd use an AMD chipset since Nvidia cards right now are fail. tongue.gif
ATI cards surely perform great in X-Fire and if you do switch, I would get the HD4850.

P.S. Next time post the specs for the parts too not just the manufacturer "ASROCK AM2+" really doesn't tell much.

Perhaps this: ASRock A780GXE/128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G ATX AMD Motherboard

Well the reason why I included the link was so that you could go and read about it yourself (if you wanted). That board you suggested is/would be better for me because it's just about the same with the other one, not to mention that it's cheaper as well.

Now I'm looking at the Q6600. For now it's $5 cheaper than the AMD that I want, and if I wanted to O/C it to like 3.0 GHz, I would need to get some badass cooling
I'm really thinking about getting it because of this killer board AsRock has for it:
Intel 775 Quad Core DDR2/DDR3 Memory with WiFi Module
It's like the intel version of the board I originally wanted, but it's better and because it supports DDR3 its like its future-proof. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from the looks of that board, I could go either way on the graphics card (like Nvidia or an ATI) right?

If that is the case, then I think I'll go with ATI this generation, just like in the old days smile.gif

The 4670 1GB DDR3 looks pretty sweet, and from the reviews its a pretty solid gaming card.

If I have to go Nvidia, I'm looking at the MSI 9600 GT 512MB DDR3 OC, which also got good reviews.

For right now, I just want to get 1 card, but I will eventually get a second card of the same make/model so I can do SLI/Crossfire. I just want to make sure that I have a few extra dollars for emergency, I just dont want to go and blow my whole check on my new rig tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Wheezy
post Nov 3 2008, 01:06 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15

Clintston,
Get a Q6600 and a 4850, on an intel P45 chipset board. It'll do 3ghz with stock cooling more than likely and the 4850 512 is way bettar for pwning nubs than the 4670 1gb unless you want to run an insane resolution with no eye candy at all. I'd get somethin like this board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131295, asrock is the cheapy asus brand as i remember, but the board is the key now a days. DDR3 fails on price now and by the time you'll really WANT it that bad you might as well get a next gen system and toss this box. Get some ballistix pc8500 on sale or something similar to go with all this and you'll be cash money, money cash hoes.

+Quote Post
Power
post Nov 3 2008, 02:07 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Wow I'm having problems with this today. Read next post

This post has been edited by Power: Nov 3 2008, 02:16 PM

+Quote Post
Power
post Nov 3 2008, 02:08 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Actually Wheezy, asrock are good boards, they can go toe to toe with asus and they're made just as well with good parts. They simply don't throw in all the bells and whistles and then don't add a $50 markup for the name. That's why they're cheaper.

I personally have never heard a bad review about an asrock board, and I plan on getting this one very soon as an upgrade to my shitty asus board. ASRock P45R2000-WiFi LGA 775 Intel P45

I'm getting an open box since I don't need any sata cords or the wifi, I don't see any reason to pay the extra $25 for the cords. I'm hoping to get this sometime before Christmas, though that may not work out.

But anyways, that's what I'm getting Clint. But Wheezy is smart about computers, I just think he has a name brand fetish.

And as for a GPU, don't get lower than a 4850, either get a 9800GTX or a HD4850, but don't go lower, or you'll regret it down the line.

This post has been edited by Power: Nov 3 2008, 02:25 PM

+Quote Post
Wheezy
post Nov 3 2008, 06:12 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

No Wheezy buys expensive motherboards because a good motherboard is the difference between a good overclock and a phenomenal one... And it tends to influence my recomendations, I've had some mediocre Asus boards, but I've never had one that was a total failure. Can't say that of too many brands. I stick to Abit, Asus, DFI, Gigabyte and Foxconn generally.

+Quote Post
Stryker
post Nov 3 2008, 06:41 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Wheezy, you freaking said you didn't know about the P5Q every time I asked you, when you even told me to get that board like a month ago. (Amnesia!?)

As for Clinton, Q6600 + P5Q + HD4850 = Probably around $400-450, which I think is a bit rough on your wallet. I say for now just get the Mobo and the Q6600, and next month get the Monitor and the 4850. I think that would be your best choice. Otherwise just spend the $450 and get a superb build. biggrin.gif

EDIT: Actually it would be around 350-400 which isn't bad and OH LOOK! A new case for your iPhone when you get the card Power linked!!! ZOMG!
Also you could get this for the extra cooling :/ Sapphire HD4850

This post has been edited by Stryker: Nov 3 2008, 06:45 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wheezy
post Nov 4 2008, 06:39 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

No n00byker i said i didnt remember which one i sugested and i didnt feel like looking it up again for you. i looked it up for Clintston this time, plus you still haven't bought that shit capt tire kicker

+Quote Post
Stryker
post Nov 4 2008, 08:49 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Wheezy @ Nov 4 2008, 04:39 AM) *
No n00byker i said i didnt remember which one i sugested and i didnt feel like looking it up again for you.

sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Clintonia
post Jan 11 2009, 06:38 PM
Post #16

Administrator

Ok so I have definitely decided that this month I'm getting my new build. I'm on a $400 budget so these parts that I'm churning out may not exactly be the best, they are what falls in my budget

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.3GHz

This is the cheapest Core 2 Quad that they have. The Q6600 is also available, but I figured I would go with this one because it has 45nm architecture and apparently it can reach higher clocks with the stock cooler.

Motherboard: Asus P5QL Core 2 Quad

I'm going to take Wheezy's advice and not skimp on a motherboard. I picked this board because I know ASUS is like the cream of the crop when it comes to motherboards, and also this board is easy to overclock, all I have to do is adjust a few settings (or at least that's what I read in the reviews)

Memory: 3GB Crucial PC5300 Memory or 3GB Rendition PC6400 Memory

My natural instincts tell me to go with the Rendition [by Crucial] because of the faster speeds, but for some reason I dont want to discount that the Crucial memory is also a good choice. I also read in some reviews online that you can overclock with both, but I wasn't able to figure out which one would be better for it [overclocking]. In case anyone is wondering, Directron is like a mini- Newegg and they are located in Houston (my town) so I can enjoy picking up the parts that I order from their warehouse directly, and not have to pay for shipping. I think that's another reason why I keep looking at it, it will be something I can go pick up the same day I order it.

Video Card: Powercolor 3870 512mb DDR3 or Sapphire 4830 512mb DDR3
Those are my ATI choices (if I go ATI). My Nvidia choices are:
Galaxy 9600GT 512mb DDR3 or Zotac 9600 GSO 512mb DDR3

My choices for my card are basically based on which one costs more and has better specs. There's one that I want to get if I want to be a cheap guy (which I am) and there's another that I can get if I want a better performing card. I just want to get opinions from others to see if maybe one card is shit, and the other is far better [performing] than the other.

I'm open to new part suggestions, but please keep in mind that I am on a budget. All of the parts I plan on getting are upgradeable so this is / might just be a temporary build until maybe I start working again and I can afford to get a better card/processor/motherboard/etc .

+Quote Post
Wheezy
post Jan 11 2009, 06:50 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Get the PC6400 fo sho, or there will be no overclocking for you. Q8200 7x400 = 2800mhz, should be decent. And get the 4830 it spanks the 3870 and 9600s. I wouldn't get the bootleg P43 based P5QL though, the P5Q SE would probably be a better bet: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131347

+Quote Post
Stryker
post Jan 11 2009, 07:01 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

It will be a better chioce since it has a P45 chipset. Also you should try to get a cheap cooler on your cpu it could be better than a regular stock cooler. Oh yeah, you might wanna change to a 4850 for only like 40 bucks more. It would be a much better choice than the 4830 especially it has a nice cooler on some of them too.

This post has been edited by Stryker: Jan 11 2009, 07:03 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Clintonia
post Jan 11 2009, 08:37 PM
Post #19

Administrator

QUOTE (Wheezy @ Jan 11 2009, 06:50 PM) *
Get the PC6400 fo sho, or there will be no overclocking for you. Q8200 7x400 = 2800mhz, should be decent. And get the 4830 it spanks the 3870 and 9600s. I wouldn't get the bootleg P43 based P5QL though, the P5Q SE would probably be a better bet: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131347

I'll get that board you suggested. I guess I'll just have to bite the $10 dollar difference.

QUOTE (Stryker @ Jan 11 2009, 07:01 PM) *
It will be a better chioce since it has a P45 chipset. Also you should try to get a cheap cooler on your cpu it could be better than a regular stock cooler. Oh yeah, you might wanna change to a 4850 for only like 40 bucks more. It would be a much better choice than the 4830 especially it has a nice cooler on some of them too.

Well stryker I would save up an extra $40 to get a 4850 but the board I am getting doesnt have onboard video, so I would be stuck without display.

On second thought, if I can get some of the people I lent money to repay me back, I think I will have enough to get a new power supply (600W), DVD drive, and upgrade to a 4850., but we'll have to see about that.

+Quote Post
Stryker
post Jan 11 2009, 08:46 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

What are you talking about with the display? The 4850 comes with video? The whole point of actually getting a "video" card. Also could you be so kind to post the specs of your current parts and all the things you'll have when you're finished with the build?

Also how do you feel about this?

AllComponents 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

It's not bad for the price and timings, and it's dual channel and is 4 gigs biggrin.gif

Also another suggestion:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

Just thought you might like to consider it since you could get a nice OC even with stock clocks, and it would perform quite nicely. biggrin.gif

And another:

HIS Hightech H485FN512P Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

It's a 4850 with a nice cooler on it so it doesn't burn up, and definetly a better choice than the 4830 (although the 4830's are not bad). It's only like 35$ more which is totally worth the investment smile.gif

EDIT: From mine and Wheezy's perspective, the E8400 will be better for you since it will clock higher and will benefit you more for gaming and such. It's also nearly 30$ less. WHICH MAKES ROOM FOR A 4850! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Stryker: Jan 11 2009, 09:33 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
Skin by IPB Customize
Time is now: 23rd July 2019 - 07:30 PM