Navigation

Welcome Guest
( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

We now have a Counter Strike Source 100 tick 500fps server you to come and join in on the action!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Left 4 Ten Years of Updates
V
Power
post Nov 23 2008, 02:30 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: {E0!} Member
Member No.: 11

Is it just me, or does Left 4 Dead seem like more a demo for an awesome, incredible game that will revolutionize the survivor-horror genre forever. Rather than a complete game? Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but is it really worth as much hype as it's gotten?

I have to ask this, because the game seems like a stripped down demo, with all the good stuff disabled to make you want to buy this amazing game when it's finally release in a year or two. I don't like to rock the boat, and you all know I've gladly recommended this game to every person that's asked about it, but the final game seems more like the sad, moping, ugly step child's shadowy reflection, rather than the gleaming masterpiece of beauty and awesomeness that we were promised, which makes men cry and woman do whatever the fuck it is they do.

I started getting these feelings quite a while ago, but it wasn't until I read this description of the game on rlslog that I was pushed over the edge.

Setting out to do for co-op gaming what Counter-Strike did for team combat, Left 4 Dead is an ambitious survival horror game. Running on the Source engine, Left 4 Dead leaves four armed survivors of a world overrun with zombies, and they must fight their way out to escape the outbreak.

Designed for co-op play, the four players must work together to finish each stage of the game, lending each other artillery support, sharing ammo and rescuing each other when zombies are on top of them. In addition to the standard four players as humans, another four players can be amongst the masses of assaulting zombies, seeking to take down the other players. Zombie players might even find themselves become one of the four mutant “boss” zombies, who have unique powers that can be used to devastate, injure, tie up, mark and track, confuse, or even humiliate the gun-toting human survivors.

Now I don't know about you but my first reaction was "I want that game, fuck this limp and flaccid thing that steam managed to convince everyone was the real deal, I want the actual game that Valve must be hiding in a vault somewhere so that they can use it to every once in a while update the game closer to the true thing and say they did extra work and therefor deserve more cash for it.

Think about it, this game has no real melee attacks other than shoving zombies around with a weak backhand that wouldn't harm a newborn baby, there's ammo and weapons every 5 feet, and after you've played through a campaign once or twice, you throw all attempts at true cooperative teamwork and tactical game play. At which point the game turns into the simple process of using the exact same weapons to shoot everything that moves, avoid every witch you can, shoot more things that move, and if a tank shows up; shoot, scream, shoot, scream, shoot, swear obscenities at the screen, and finally shoot some more while screaming and swearing obscenities at the screen.

That basically sums up the game play after the first two or three times of playing a campaign. Which leaves me wondering, when does the real game release? Or am I going to have to buy Left 4 Dead Again, Stop Leaving Me For Dead, and finally *BOOM* I TOLD YOU NOT TO LEAVE ME FOR DEAD MOTHER FUCKER! Before I actually get to play the game I was promised, by which time I'll be in my thirties and if I still want to play the damn thing I'll probably shoot myself. (And yes, I put a sound effect in the title of the game, I figure that at Valves normal release rate, they're probably have found a way to incorporate sound into words you read so that the sound effects get beamed directly into your head)

I don't know about you, but I want a game in which their aren't shotguns and assault rifles around every corner, or the ability to hold more rounds of ammo than their are actually zombies in the whole game. I want to be able to pick up every conceivable object in the game to protect myself with, I want sneaking around zombies and running for my life to be normal not pointless, I want to actually need teammates in order to traverse zombie infested streets. I think ammo should be about as hard to find as it would be in real life, cause I don't know about you, but I've never ran into magical piles of bullets that never run out. Basically, my point is that I want to play the game I was promised, one where cooperation is required and where strategy takes precedent over running and gunning almost every time.

-Power

This post has been edited by Power: Nov 23 2008, 02:35 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MrFixIt
post Nov 23 2008, 02:42 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

i didn't pay for it so it doesn't really effect me

This post has been edited by MrFixIt: Nov 23 2008, 02:43 AM

+Quote Post
eatpie75
post Nov 23 2008, 02:43 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 86

blink.gif angry.gif

this was just to annoy power

This post has been edited by eatpie75: Nov 23 2008, 10:23 PM

+Quote Post
Wheezy
post Nov 23 2008, 12:26 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15

I haven't played the full version yet, but I have to kind of agree, for example, with the "traditional" assumptions about zombies, you should NEVER go out in the open, but there are plenty of areas in the open where you have to gun down a zombie horde. If you subscribe to pretty much every zombie movie of awesomeness ever, you should be dead meat but you manage to have enough ammo to lay them to waste. It seems kinda low on strategy and heavy on blowing the hell out of stuff. While I think COD4 for example has shitty AI, at least the way you have to make your way through the terrorist infested world is pretty good other than the fact that they spawn infinitely if you don't take the prerogative to advance on them and trigger the next wave.

+Quote Post
Power
post Nov 23 2008, 03:24 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Now don't get me wrong Wheezy, I still love the game, and you still need to get it. I'm just sad that it could be so much more and it wouldn't even be that hard for them to do, since most of it doesn't actually add features, they simply need to be tweaked and improved..

The AI is great, and they already have the manager, but it should be used not just to control when zombies come at you, or the music in the background. but also what paths you should take, and what obstacles you face. Each campaign shouldn't be identical every time you play it, it should be more of a sandbox environment that the director then adds paths and challenges to, so that the road you take will change each time you play the game. That would almost completely get rid of the monotonous game play, since you'd never know what to expect.

That would fix the repetitive game play as far as level progression goes, then as for weapons, well quite simply, their needs to be ALLOT more of them, and they shouldn't be such cut and dry top spec weapons, I mean come on, why the hell are their m16's and semi-automatic shotguns everywhere. They had the right idea with molotov's and pipe bombs, since in a post apocalyptic world like this I think the survivors should be using more improvised weapons than top spec military gear. Sawed off shotguns, 38 pistols you pull off the bodies of dead police zombies, anything and everything they can get their hands on should be available, I'm talking about an an astounding number of fire-arms, everything from top spec military gear, to low end shit weapons sold at walmart.

Secondly, ammo should be more sparse, where you conserve it for when you need it, and sorely miss it when it's gone. I don't know how many times I've said "I'm almost out of ammo", as I'm saying it, we walk into a room with a magical ammo pile. It's just wrong, it takes an aspect of strategy and survival out of the game that shouldn't be.

Finally, melee, this is almost useless right now, the only time I use it is while I'm reloading my shotgun to spray more nearly limitless bullets at them. This shouldn't be the case, with my idea for less ammo, comes also the need for new and more interesting way's to waist the hordes of infected evil coming to eat your brains. Chainsaw's, butcher knives, machetes, crowbars, empty rifles being used like baseball bats, all of these are acceptable way's to slaughter the legions of undead coming for your brains.

Finally, boss monsters, I say monsters, cause their should be allot bigger and more disgusting things coming at you at the end of levels than just tanks, which require nothing but swearing and constant gunfire to bring down. I want big nasty motherfuckers, that eat pieces of tanks in their Wheaties each morning, that require strategy, and team work, and big fucking bazooka's to bring down.

I could be way off base with this idea's, if so, any suggestions or idea's of your own?

-Power

This post has been edited by Power: Nov 23 2008, 03:42 PM

+Quote Post
n1ghtsn1p3r
post Dec 20 2008, 09:31 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Sorry this is really late

I still haven't played it, but from what it sounds like the Director is more like a lame knockoff version of the SMOD mod for HL2 (different every time you play it, like playing on de_dust2 against the Combine (including at least one APC vehicle), zombies, headcrabs, striders, etc, in a variety of random combinations)

--------------------
My Rig: E8500 E0 3.16GHz @ 4.0GHz (445x9.0 @ 1.325v) | ASUS P5Q Pro | 2x2GB OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 | WD 500GB | 512MB HIS HD 4850 Turbo IceQ4 (650/1000) | Antec 300 | SeaSonic SS-550HT 550w | LITE-ON DVD Burner w/Lightscribe | Tuniq Tower 120 | Microsoft Internet Keyboard | Razer Lachesis | Razer Carcharias | 19" AOC Spectrum 9Glr | Vista Ultimate, Gentoo Linux, and Ubuntu 8.10 (all 64-bit)

+Quote Post
Power
post Dec 21 2008, 08:31 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Yep, or how Yahtzee put it, The AI Director (I'll be calling it AIDs for short, I added the "s" cause I know fix-it would want me to)

QUOTE (Yahtzee)
"Is an omnipotent figure watching silently from the shadows who creates dramatic tension by conjuring health and ammo at the points when you need it and a billion zombies whenever he's board which is all the time"

I would love to see the AIDs get a bigger job, such as using an automated and tweaked version of the Spore creature creator to make custom boss zombies to randomly throw at you, as well as giving slight variations to the hordes of lesser zombies so you don't end up fighting the same 4 skins over and over for all eternity. As well as giving AIDs the ability to design each stage differently before you play it. Those two things right their would boost the games replay value at least a 100%. And then in the finnally, instead of just facing tanks, we should face a BMM (Big Motherfucking Monster.) Something that the AIDs spends all 5 stages watching your strategy and teamwork tactics, and then custom builds a taylor made boss, specifically designed to annihilate you and your 3 buddies. Something so mean and nasty that Lucifer himself would shit his pants.

Also, I'd like to see a few new game modes, such as a Last Stand game mode, that is basically the final stage x100, but with an extra 4 to 5 teams playing with you. Also a Vs. Time Trial mode could be cool, where the AIDs creates a map, duplicates it, and then has 2 teams run through them side by side to see who can get the fastest time, the most kills, and the least incaps. Those are just 2 off the top of my head, this game is cool enough though that I'm sure we could think of a nearly limitless number of awesome game types.

Anyway's Valve needs to release some sort of massive content update that fixes the insane lack of replay value, or the game is going to die here. Unless they do something this will never be another CSS of TF2 that people buy years down the line. Without more content, a year from now none of us will remember L4D.

+Quote Post
Ehab
post Dec 24 2008, 11:24 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 31

I have yet to play left4dead, although I would like to. But, I'm not about to waste $50 on a game.

+Quote Post
Stryker
post Dec 24 2008, 12:06 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10

QUOTE (Ehab @ Dec 24 2008, 10:24 AM) *
I have yet to play left4dead, although I would like to. But, I'm not about to waste $50 on a game.

WHY! Why wouldn't you spend $50 on a game when you can go to a strip club or get a really cheap hooker! WHY WOULDN'T YOU SPEND $50 ON A GAME!! ohmy.gif

--------------------

Special thanks to: Wheezy cuz pr0 :D

+Quote Post
n1ghtsn1p3r
post Dec 27 2008, 09:56 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

I just bought it. I'm still waiting for my paychecks to go through the bank so I can finally order my rig.

It's on sale for about $38 on Steam (I got it along with Spore and Crysis for $101, with SecuROM not included:)). I still hate EA though

--------------------
My Rig: E8500 E0 3.16GHz @ 4.0GHz (445x9.0 @ 1.325v) | ASUS P5Q Pro | 2x2GB OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 | WD 500GB | 512MB HIS HD 4850 Turbo IceQ4 (650/1000) | Antec 300 | SeaSonic SS-550HT 550w | LITE-ON DVD Burner w/Lightscribe | Tuniq Tower 120 | Microsoft Internet Keyboard | Razer Lachesis | Razer Carcharias | 19" AOC Spectrum 9Glr | Vista Ultimate, Gentoo Linux, and Ubuntu 8.10 (all 64-bit)

+Quote Post
saxx
post Dec 27 2008, 11:03 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12

Hasn't been 10 years yet, and it's still workin' out pretty well.

+Quote Post
Spike
post Jan 5 2009, 03:54 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 54

I agree totally with you Power, but think about it. If I was playing a zombie game, I want to build forts and defenses, and move my way around, finding other survivors and finding where the fuck the military is. WHERE ARE THEY!!!!!!!!!! I highly doubt that the military would be wiped out by zombies. Plus the police would be badass and not get wiped out. I think the game would be awesome also as a mmorpg type of game or mmortsrpgfps game lol. Valve could create a full server world just like ours and throw it in chaos with the AI you said. I would pay 50 bucks a year to play that game! But not that gay server world shit, I mean you login to your game like you do, two options, online and offline. (Offline being a simpler version of the online, with where ever you were last and letting you only move around maybe just that local city or terrain area, but still being a massive map of a real size city, unlimited movement and stuff. Online, you would connect, choose a hometown, design YOUR OWN character, then choose where you were at time of infection and being game. When you leave the city, you see a quick loading screen, really you would be auto switching to a new server, and continue from WHERE YOU LEFT OFF! Not respawn in a new place but be where you were. And if the graphics were the same as Left 4 Dead I would be happy, those graphics were pleasent on the eyes, but not insane like Crysis or Call Of Duty.

+Quote Post
Willovv
post Mar 17 2009, 03:02 PM
Post #13

Group: Members
Member No.: 166

I have the left 4 dead game... damn i dunno why.. its pretty good! lol
Runs fast and smooth on my comp. Its sorta like counter strike. Has okay graphics...
but runs fine 0_o

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
Skin by IPB Customize
Time is now: 8th December 2019 - 10:15 AM